Windows operating system has a guest account feature that allows other people to use your computer without changing any PC settings. Generally, you need a guest account when you have to share your system temporarily. But Windows 10 don’t provide you an easy access to create the guest account using the Control Panel. There are some methods that you need to apply specifically to enable Windows 10 guest account on your system.
How can I set up Guest account on Windows 10?
There are various methods by which you can create guest account on a Windows 10. Given below are some popular methods that can help you for this purpose:
Method 1: Using Windows Explorer
One of the simplest methods for how to make a guest account on windows 10 is to use windows explorer. In this method, all you need to do is:
- Click on Start button located at bottom-left corner of the screen and then navigate to Windows Explorer. You can also press Windows + E keys to open it.
- Click on This PC option from the left-navigation pane and then double-click on Local Disk (C:) and open the Users folder.
- In the Users folder, double-click on the folder named as Guest to open it.
- From the Guest folder, go to the My Documents folder.
- Check all the files you are looking for and save them at any safe location.
Repeat the above steps every time till all the folders under the Guest folder have been recovered successfully.
Method 2: Use Command Prompt
You can create guest account windows 10 using an elevated Command Prompt. All you need to execute a certain set of simple commands or we couldn’t complete the updates undoing changes. To use this method for creating a Guest account, you need to:
- First of all, open Command Prompt window by typing cmd in the Windows search box and selecting the relevant option from the context menu that appeared on screen.
- Type the following command in the Command Prompt window and press Enter key: net user guest /active:yes.
- Click on the Start button.
- Now click on your Account Name from the left-navigation pane of the Start Menu and choose Sign out option.
- Once you are done with the above steps, check whether you can access the Guest account.
- If yes then log in and retrieve all the mandatory files you may need for further use.
- If there is any problem while doing do, follow the above steps again to access all the files saved under Guest account.
Simple methods to enable and disable Windows 10 built-in Guest account:
Guest account is basically a local user account with limited permissions. You must know that Guest account doesn’t have a password and you can’t even set any passwords for it. It provides you an access to use only the applications and desktop software that are generally installed on your computer only when Guest account is enabled. You can enable or disable Windows 10 guest account by using any of the following methods:
Way 1: By turning it on or off.
- Press Windows + S key and type guest in the search box. Click on Turn guest account on or off from the context menu that appeared on screen.
- Now from the Manage Accounts window, click on Guest button.
- Choose Turn on or Turn off the guest account as per your requirement.
Way 2: Using Local Group Policy.
Open Local Group Policy Editor.
Find and open the policy named “Accounts: Guest account status”. It is generally located at Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options.
Click on the Enabled and Disabled radio button depending on whether you want to enable or disable it respectively.
Way 3: Using Command Prompt
Last, but certainly not least, you can also use command prompt for enabling or disabling Windows 10 guest account once you come to know how to add guest account Windows 10 or how to make yourself an administrator on windows 10:
- Type cmd in the Window’s search box and then run Command Prompt as an administrator. Click on Yes button in the User Account Control dialog.
- Type “net user guest /active:yes” to enable this account and press Enter button.
- Type “net user guest /active:no” for disabling guest account from your system and press Enter key.
Check how admin can restrict Users or guests from accessing programs and files
If you have all the administrative privileges, then you must know how to block the “guest users” from installing/uninstalling any new program from your system or to give limited access to the users for certain programs and folders.
- As an administrator, you can restrict guest users from installing or uninstalling any programs in your system. By default, Windows 10 has restricted all the users except admin from such privileges. This can be considered as one of the latest Windows 10 security features to protect your system from any external user.
- If you are not an admin, then you will be restricted from accessing any program or folder.
If the guest account of your system is creating problems again and again for you, remove it from your system () and again create a new account.